Ok, it’s actually not entirely done (stomacher problems etc.), but since we took some photos and they turned out allright… ;D I want you to know that I am well aware that this look, with the tricorne and all, is not in any way historically correct – it’s not meant to be. Also, I did not have a mirror when dressing and I didn’t notice that it wasn’t very well fitted until I saw the photos when we came home. *Doh* Anywhooooo, I am EXTREEEEEEMELY pleased with myself!!!
Archive for the ‘Undergarments’ Category
This rococo bitch is getting geared up! Sometime soon… ;P
This was taken a few minutes ago while I was checking the fit after putting on 2 pairs of eyes and hooks on the right side (your right). As you can see, the top one doesn’t show at all, the bottom one needs re-fitting though. Over all I think it looks even better than I expected! And only 2 hooks+eyes on one side!
I am also wearing a finished petticoat! ;D
Phew, almost gave up on trying to fit the pet-en-l’air and stomacher there, no matter how I tried the jacket wouldn’t fit well, which is strange considering how many times I’ve fitted it during the process, somehow it fit allright in the end, but I’m exhausted! I am sooooo setting hooks and eyes on this one! I might even be able to use only 2 or 3 pairs of them, I’m starting with 2 after this fitting. =)
Oh, and the shifts are done, nothing to show off though, bleh, ugly… 😄
Seriously, every time I sit down with the trim, I’m like “BOOORING!”
Decided to start with the over petticoat tomorrow though, yay! ^^
So, now I’ve got a serious case of pms-mood… I feel like sewing, but I’m sooo tired of pinning the trim, or emroidering buttons… Gotta start something new!
I started looking trough my stuff and said to myself – why not start with the petticoat!? I’m gonna use this method, kindy described by Katherine (Thank you!).
I’m thinking I shouldn’t start with the one I’m actually gonna use for the pet-en-l’air. So I’m starting with a fabric I’m not too careful of, but still can use as an under petticoat or simple womans petticoat – like the old light green linen sheet I used for the lining of the pet-en-l’air. There’s still enough for a petticoat see. ;D
Shouldn’t be too hard, right? ;P
Totally making this one by machine btw! It’s just a kind of toille that I might wear later anyway so… ;P
The spring steel band is smaller and will fit perfectly in the canals of my stays! As soon as I get the time I’ll try to change a few of the front ones.
I know, I know, I have a lot to do, but if I don’t fix it the whole outfit will kinda fall. I’ve tried ironing, but heat did not work, so this might be the best way… And I think it’ll be awesome!
By chance, today I found a roll of that sewer cord or spring steel tape I’m using for the hoops, but it looks smaller (not home yet, so I don’t know for sure). It might work great as boning for a future pair of stays. But you might remember I’ve had problems with the boning in the front tab in my current stays, I might just operate a little on them and change the boning in the front. =D
Today I decided it was time to dress up once more and test and fit everything again, since I finished all the hemming. Well I didn’t need to fit it really, but I wanted to see that it still looked alright. I also wanted to take some better pics to show off my creation (this was the best I had). ;D So here you are, my pet-en-l’air so far:
Still only one arm trimmed though, and no real stomacher, hehe . And I kinda just wrapped the fabric for the petticoat round my waist… ^^;
I also used the one pocket hoop I have managed to make so far (soooo boring to seeew!) and they might work after all, what do y’all think?
Ooops, didn’t pin it very well, bah!
I confess – I am a period seamstress, in the meaning “woman who sews in periods”. 😄 The other day I entered a new sewing period, I might actually finish the actual jacket of the pet-en-l’air this week! I’m hemming and hemming and hemming right now, then there’s just the trimming! The stomacher might take some time…
Anywhooo, the jacket looks a lot shorter than I anticipated, so now It looks quite a lot like my favourite pet-en-l’air:
When I started this project I wanted to use pocket hoops, so I started making a pair. My previous apprehension is now reality though; with the length it’s at now – it will not look very good with those big pocket hoops. So now I’m considering models for a bum/hip roll. I came across this some time ago, maybe a way to put that problem off a little… ;D
Oh, and we got a C on the thesis. ^^